Wednesday, August 26, 2009

To Multitask, or not to... What were we talking about?

I have decided to give up multitasking. It is an addiction I have come to realize. It will be hard. I am trying to go cold turkey. I have set a goal of 1 week without it. I think I can do it.

I realized that part of the reason I am so scatterbrained is because, well I am just scatterbrained, no way around it. Between Twitter, Facebook, and a whole mess of programs that require processing time I have allowed myself to multitask my way to gold fish status. I open a program, tweet while it loads, start it processing, run to load the washing machine, help my son with the potty, start another program, forget about the first program, realize I forgot to feed the kids, start the water for mac n cheese, run to throw the laundry in the dryer, remember that I forgot to start the computer program export, realize I didn't help my son wash his hands after the potty (EW), hear the ping of my inbox, answer an URGENT email, answer the phone, pull my arguing kids off of each other, realize that they are fighting because they are hungry, realize that the water has been boiling for who knows how long is half gone and I need to start a fresh pot of water...

Before I know it the day is gone, my children are barely fed, running around in their underwear, the laundry is barely started, and none of my work is done. Then I read that multitaskers tend to suck at multitasking. That would explain it.

So for one week I will try this experiment and see if I get more ACCOMPLISHED, and maybe my kids will be happier, and maybe I will be more sane. I multitasked very little today. I plan on not multitasking at all tomorrow. My mind is a little more clear.

We'll see.

3 comments: