Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Respite

Two posts in one day is a bit much for me, but in the middle of the night I find clarity in the quiet.  When the children are sleeping I am only me.  I am not Mom, no one is demanding anything of me and I can think.

My boy felt much better after a few hours of respite from school, he danced (literally) off to bed wearing his silliest grin, and didn't argue about school.

He has a new dance this week, it is a cross between the New Kids on the Block leg swing and a bunny hop.  His most distinct 'repetitive motor behavior' is this dance he does when he's very happy, it has evolved slowly over time, but changed in a leap this week.  The dance absolutely means he is happy.  He is starting to feel proud of the little victories he has at school.  The vice principle today spoke to us as we were leaving campus and made a point of congratulating him on his day.  He didn't run from class.  Small victory, but victory none the less.  He is not often proud of himself, mostly because his difficulty with perspective keeps him from seeing that others have noticed his accomplishments.

Now that I have had my respite I, too can see that today wasn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment