Saturday, January 23, 2010

Schooling with Asperger's

When I pulled my son out of school half way through the second grade, I didn't know it was because of Asperger's.  He was enrolled in a charter home school because I didn't know what else to do.  We finally got a diagnosis in 4th grade.  After a lot of thought and struggle I pulled him out of the charter and began unschooling him.  The main goal was to spend time teaching him social skills, coping skills, and worry about academics when he could handle it emotionally.  I am pleased to say that my method worked.  He progressed from a violent resistance to any structured activity with a preference for a single activity, to moving from activity to activity of his choosing through out the day.  That might not sound like much but for us it's huge.

He has also become much more flexible.  He will willingly try new activities, handles well changes in plans, engages new people in conversation, and makes eye contact when he tells people that he doesn't shake hands.

We moved to a new house so that he could have his own room, more space, and quiet time. Our new neighborhood is near the school where my younger son will attend kindergarten in the fall.  Every time we drive past we say hello to the 4yo's new school.  Two weeks ago we drove past at release time.  My 10yo Aspie said that if he went to school there we could walk, and not even need a car.  I asked if he would be interested in attending that school, he said "sure, if they have a special class for kids like me."

We met this week with the school psychologist and my son will be trying out public school again, by his choice.  I will keep you updated on how it all goes.

3 comments:

  1. I am happy to read that you and yours are moving in this direction. I will anticipate updates on his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome story and the ending really hit the spot! Praying God leads you and your son with this transition!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete