Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Grown ups

At 5:45 pm on January 20, 2010 I realized I am a grown up.  It's a small thing, but it hit me big.

I have been trying forever to stop wanting to be someone else.  I have been saying for 30 years that I want to be like (insert cool person's name here) when I grow up.  I was just sitting here musing about the people whose work I admire, wondering how far along they are in life's journey.  Then I started to wonder how far along I am.  I was thinking about who I want to be when I grow up.  I couldn't come up with anyone.  I then realized that I want to be ME when I grow up.  Me.  The best of me.  Me at my best.  It sounds so obvious and I am sure I have been spouting it for years, but this was the first time I realized that the drive to be just me and no one else is truly a part of my thought process.  It's like breathing.  It isn't a struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment