Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Museum

I was introduced to the Fresno Met, by my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Ogata. Coincidentally my favorite teacher. I didn't know at age 10 what an impact that institution would have on my life. About 10 years ago my best friend got a job there and as always, wherever she was I was. When they needed someone to sell memberships I was an employee. When they needed a decorator coordinator for Christmas at the Met I was there. I did a tree every year after that until the pros took them over. I made horrible scones for the tea, I photographed kids on Santa's lap. I cut my photographic teeth doing event photography, head shots, copy work, whatever they needed. I met so many people through the Met. I saw so many beautiful things and learned so much. I explored there as a child and watched my children's faces light as they explored.

On Sunday I went to the Fresno Metropolitan Museum of Art and Science for the last time. I had no idea how it would effect me. I didn't anticipate how I would feel making that last pass through the gallery, my eyes moist as they wandered over Matisse.

I think now of the people who are losing their jobs. The Met wasn't just a job for most, it was life. For the volunteers who sweat blood raising the money to open the museum and again over the last 4 years trying to save it they are losing a child. Most people don't understand the commitment of a passionate volunteer. How many children will never see this museum, how many will miss the opportunity to learn from the dedicated staff?

Goodbye, Met. You gave me grief, joy, awe. I will miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Its so sad. I grew up coming to the met. We went just about every time we drove up to Fresno. Sadly I haven't been since we've lived here, but was buying an annual pass for the first time when I heard the news. :( I hope to get by there before they close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realize they are closed. :( For some reason I had the end of Jan in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They announced it today at noon.

    ReplyDelete