Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Strange Days

I have been completely wacko the last week and a half due to what my doctor calls a migraine equivalent.  All of the fun of migraine with half the pain.

At first I thought I was just tired and cranky, then I got confused, my speech was slurred and mixed up, dim light felt like being hit with KC Daylighters, whispers were like megaphones, I was dizzy and throwing up.  Three days in I realized I had a migraine, Excedrin which usually helps didn't touch it.  Day 4 after some time crying on the floor of the walk-in closet I made an appointment to see the doctor.  Day 5 was the high point where hubby tripped on a toy xylophone in the dark and I saw a flash of light that didn't happen.

I saw the doctor and got more powerful medication.  Unfortunately the best meds stop the migraine, but very few treat them.

Here I am in the present, 10 days into a migraine.  Taking pain medication to treat symptoms that aren't painful.   Symptoms that I have been told could last a month.  I have tests scheduled, I am looking for triggers, I am doing migraine yoga, trying to relax, aromatherapy-ing, hot shower/cold showering, ice packing.  Communicating with the world through writing since my spoken words don't come out the way I'd like.

Normally I try to find the lesson and be positive, but this just sucks.  I am feeling better, but not great.

Oh, and my cat died.

Don't console me, just pray I feel better.